Sunday, 17 June 2007

New Beginnings

Heres the original piece that i created for the CIA event next month, as i mentioned before, i didnt feel too happy about it when it was finished, so i quickly moved on to the Moonchild piece. But as everything went along, this was felt to have more impact in relation to the show, so this is the one thats going to be used.

Just a few images to show the process- (i will probably stop doing these soon) heres a compilation of the original drawing after scaning and some piecing together. (my scanner is an old A4 thats really on its last legs.) Next is the gown and dog after they had been pretty much finished and their paths applied, followed by a wip of the baby creature.

Next is a view of the background landscape painting, its pretty much completed at this point, just some additional touches were made and then it was brought into the final file for the last stages.

After everything was brought together in one massive file i proceeded to make subtle changes to the lighting with some curves, levels etc. The red hummingbirds were the last element to go in on the top layer. Below is the final piece followed by some detail shots at 70%. Im gonna try and get off my ass this week and get some sketches done for a series of portraits i have in mind. Watch this space.

Monday, 4 June 2007

Moonchild, New work

Next month, CIA will be putting on a summer show, this was an alternate piece i put forward for the show, i dont think its going to be used in the show itself, but it may find a home elsewhere.. i will post the other one here at a later date.

Fortunately i kept a lot of the layered files, (the exhibition called for this work to be A2 and the wip files are currently taking up around 2gb on my HD!) which enables me to show you some of the process for this picture. Hopefully you'll find it interesting. After a lot of rough thumbnail sketches i arrived at a composition that i liked and went ahead getting it drawn up in a little more detail, to better get a sense of space i started drawing it out on A2, just cheap cartridge paper and a soft pencil. Below is the 2 pencil drawings, the girl is just giving a sense of scale and her features, the rest of her is left pretty loose, the second is a shot of the trees that i brought in and duplicated, on the right is a more fleshed out rough of the girl, lighting and position blocked in.

Below is a single shot of the trees and moon being painted, this is done as a grayscale document in painter so that it can be used as a channel in photoshop.

As i described in my previous post, the majority of elements are worked up in seperate files and then brought into a master file, below is a sequential showing the original trees (the hills and moon were added after i had completed these grabs and dropped in on the base layer), it shows the kimono vector outline, the channel highlights, then the skin and the hair added.

All that is needed is some additional details, flower pattern on the dress, falling blossoms, necklace, shadows etc and overall lighting and levels and its done. Below is the finished painting and a few detail shots.